Sports is one of my favourite themes. Pos Malaysia had issued around 25 sports related stamp issues. The first sports issue was on 14 December 1965 for 3rd South East Asian Peninsular Games with 3v stamps. It was followed by Mexico Olympic Games issue on 12 October 1968 with 2v stamps. For this article, I would like to focus on the “glorious moments” sports issues in Malaysia. As from my records, there were 6 issues in total which include 4 stamp issues and 2 pre-stamp issues:-
- Thomas Cup Champion: 2v stamps and a miniature sheet(MS), issued on 25th July 1992.
- The Glorious Moments of the Gold Medalists for The KL 98 Commonwealth Games: 2 large MS (1v and 9v), issued on 12th December 1998.
- AFF Suzuki Cup 2010 Champion: 2v stamps, issued on 28th February 2011.
- Paralympics Golden Moments in Rio 2016: 1v stamp, issued on 20th December 2016
- SEA Games KL 2017 Kita Juara: Pre-Stamp issued on 19th December 2017
- 18th Asian Games Jakarta Palembang 2018 Achievement: Pre-Stamp issued on 15th November 2018
Thomas Cup Champion
Thomas cup was the most prestigious international badminton team competition first introduced by Sir George Alan Thomas from England in 1949.The competition was initially held every three years until 1982 when it has been conducted every two years.The 1992 Thomas & Uber Cup was held in Kuala Lumpur from 5-16 May at Stadium Negara. Malaysia won in finals with 3-2 against Indonesia. Malaysia has won five Thomas cup titles in 1949, 1952, 1955, 1967 and 1992.
The Glorious Moments of the Gold Medalists for The KL 98 Commonwealth Games
The Commonwealth Games was first held in 1930 and it has been conducted every four years. It is an international multi-sport events joined by athletes from Commonwealth Nations. The 1998 XVI Commonwealth Games, also being called SUKOM 98 was held in Bukit Jalil Stadium (main stadium) from 11-21 September 1998. Malaysia is the first Asian country to hold the event. Malaysia won 10 gold medals and ranked number four in SUKOM 98. It was such a glorious moment in Malaysia sport’s history!
AFF Suzuki Cup 2010 Champion
The ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Suzuki Cup is a biennial football competition participated by Southeast Asia national teams. It is accredited by FIFA was first held in Singapore in 1996. The AFF Championship cup was initially sponsored by Tiger Beer (Tiger Cup) from 1996-2004 editions, followed by Japanese auto-company Suzuki from 2008 onwards.The 2010 AFF Suzuki Cup was hosted by Indonesia and Vietnam. Malaysia won her first title of Suzuki Cup in 2010 with 4-2 on aggregate against Indonesia in finals.
Paralympics Golden Moments in Rio 2016
Malaysia celebrate her glory in 2016 Rio Paralympic Games for winning gold medals for first time in history by Mohamad Ridzuan Mohamad Puzi in Men’s 100m, Muhammad Ziyad Zolkefli in Men’s Shot Put and Abdul Latif Romly in Men’s Long Jump. Gold medalists Mohamad Ridzuan and Abdul Latif are from Perlis whereas Muhammad Ziyad Zolkefli is from Gombak, Selangor.
SEA Games KL 2017 Kita Juara
Southeast Asia (SEA) Games is a biennial multi-sports event participated by current 11 ASEAN countries. In 1959, Thailand hosted the very first event which was called Southeast Asian Peninsular (SEAP) Games. In 1977, it has changed its name to Southeast Asian Games. Malaysia was top-ranked in the gold medal lists in 2001 and 2017.
18th Asian Games Jakarta Palembang 2018 Achievement
Asian Games, or Asiad, like Olympic Games is quadrennial multi-sports event participated by athletes from Asian continents since it’s first edition held in New Delhi, India 1951. Malaysia’s highest records in Asiad were Bangkok 1966 ( ranked number 4 with 7 gold medals) and Guangzhou 2010 ( ranked number 10 with 9 gold medals and total of 41 medals).
Malaysia to host Asiad in 2030?
Malaysia also hosted few other international sports events and these were the stamps issued by Pos Malaysia to commemorate the auspicious events:-
- International Cricket Council Trophy, 24th March 1997
- 9th World Youth Football Championship, 16th June 1997
- Malaysia Sepang Grand Prix 1999, 17th October 1999
- World Cup Golf Malaysia 99, 18th November 1999
- World Table Tennis Championship, 19th February 2000
- Thomas/Uber Cup KL 2000, 11th May 2000
- World Cup Hockey, 2nd January 2002
- 6th International Dragon Boat Federation Club Crew World Championship, 1st August 2008
Next issue? Maybe another Thomas Cup Title or Olympic Gold Medals……